Friday, August 23, 2013

Plenty of Fish in The Sea…


Okay, I was planning on holding off on another online dating post, but I felt that this one couldn’t wait.

I understand the saying that “there are plenty of fish in the sea.”  I can appreciate that the person saying it is likely suggesting that there are many relationship options for people. However, I don’t know if these people are thinking about how many of those “fish” are actually worth catching.  Going back to my first blog entry on “nice guys,” I’d like to point out that a great many fish out there are ones that aren’t even worth throwing back for someone else to catch. I’d suggest just clubbing them over the head and using them as chum for sharks.

Think about all of the times that you have gone to a club or a bar or some other social gathering. Now consider all of the single men or women that were at the event with you.  Of those, how many of them do you think were actually worth starting a conversation with, let alone potentially dating?  I’d say that it’s a fairly safe bet that I have never actually met someone in a bar for the first time and thought, “Wow. I have got to get me some of that.”

I suppose that what I’m trying to get at is that there are certainly plenty of fish out there, but the selection of fish that are desirable are still few and far between. I feel like the POF website is mainly fugu, blood clams, silver-striped blaasop, and stonefish.  Where are the intelligent Oscars, the beautiful octopi, the captivating firefly squid? Clearly on a different website.

I’ve made profiles on a number of free online dating sites. I figured the folks on OKC had the most potential for actually resulting in meeting people that are at least compatible with me. However, I also heard of this site called Plenty of Fish.  Apparently it’s like the slutty counterpart to OKC where most people are on it for quick hookups rather than real relationships.  I couldn’t resist.

I discovered quite quickly that the rumors were very, very accurate. I received more messages that had little in the way of substance and lots in the way of terrible innuendo. I generally found the messages amusing, but ignored almost all of them. I had actually forgotten that I even had a POF account for a while because I sent the emails to my spam folder. However, at some point the emails started getting through again. Planning on deactivating my account for good, I went ahead and checked the message I had received a notification about.



I’m really, really, really hoping that either one of his friends got on his account or that he was black out drunk.  That’s really the only reason I could imagine why someone would send a message like this. Not that it’s acceptable in either case, but at least it’s an explanation.

I ended up clicking on his photo or something instead of deleting the message because I was redirected to his profile.  This is what I found:



There are so many issues here…

First of all, he says that he’s “Searching for quality.”  I call BS.  If you are searching for quality, you don’t send messages like that to people. Next, I was peeved when I realized that he was a fellow grad student.  He gives all of us grad students a bad name.

On to the “about me” section of his profile…



Not only is he a grad student, but he’s at the same university as me? Apparently the biochemistry department has absolutely zero standards when it comes to admitting decent human beings. Let’s hope he’s smart enough to avoid breeding. Yeah, I know. Fat chance.

He talks about how this site is a waste of time, but is still filling out a profile and posting pictures. Really, this whole section is confusing and full of stupid. I wonder if he’s confused about why he’s still single.  If so, I think I might have an idea why…

No comments:

Post a Comment