Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reality check

So, after meandering for a bit after publishing my last post, I got a message from the universe at large to snap out of it.  The universe is funny.  Sometimes you get crazy messages written in the stars for you.  Other times you get grand visions of what your future holds or what you might achieve.  History is full of crazy stuff like that.  Me?  I get pinecones thrown at me by irritated squirrels.

I'm not joking.

I was walking to class and a squirrel jumped down three or four branches, chittering loudly. Squirrels are not an atypical sight on any college campus.  I've seen them everywhere.  Normally I ignore squirrels, but this one was particularly upset at something, so I stopped to see what it was mad at.

I don't usually think of squirrels as being the most accomplished athletes in the animal world.  At least not when it comes to contact sports.  Give them any agility test and they will smoke pretty much any competition (unless they have been feasting a little too often on college campus garbage cans).  This squirrel was different.  This squirrel could play on the World Cup team for the squirrel empire.  This sucker threw a pinecone at me, soccer throw-in style, and nearly beaned me in the head.  Seemingly satisfied at the befuddled expression I directed towards it, the squirrel briefly groomed its own tail and then skittered back up the tree trunk.

Okay, universe.  Message received.  I will do what I can to process this and move on.  Thanks for the reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment